Refresh

I will often go to any given website repeatedly for information - business hours, product research or to see what's new. But, for the most part, I forget to click the 'refresh' button and end up with the same old information. Sometimes I miss out on some new and exciting stuff.

I tend to do that with my recipes, too. I find one I like and make it over and over. I generally don't get bored - I just don't branch out. This is most obvious in the salad department.


My first inclination is to get out the Bibb lettuce, wash it, tear it, add chunks of perfectly ripe avocado and halved grape tomatoes, and then dress it simply with my favorite vinaigrette. It is, to me, the perfect salad. I rarely make any salad BUT that one. Thus, it is time to click the refresh button!

At the farmers market, Leo and Forrest had (in addition to purple asparagus, squash blossoms and lemon cucumbers) 'Zephyr' summer squash. It is straight-necked summer variety that is a beautiful pale yellow at the stem end, with a wide, spring green stripe at the blossom end. We got it last year, too, and it grilled beautifully - sweet and tender, remaining firm and toothsome. I got them again today to grill.

But, instead of grilling, I clicked my refresh button. WWJD? (What Would Julia Do?) I recalled a side dish/salad that our friend Barbara made with zucchini, goat cheese and mint. Something to that effect would be perfect! (I guess I should have asked WWBD?)

Instead of using the mandoline to cut it into coins, I opted for the vegetable peeler to make wide, paper-thin strips. I was afraid I wouldn't see the beautiful stripes but, as you can see from the photos, they are visible.

I mixed the squash with some mint from Connie's garden, extra virgin olive oil, the zest of a lemon, its juice and some fresh feta cheese from Chiva Risa farms in Vail, Arizona - I tossed it like pappardelle and we had one beautiful and tasty salad.

Why don't I do try new things more often? Who knows... I am just glad I refreshed today.

Happy Summer!

~ David

Summer Squash, Feta and Mint Salad

1 pound Zephyr squash (small zucchini, yellow squash or a combination work, too)
6 ounces best-quality feta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (oregano or basil work, too)
zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Slice the squash into paper-thin strips using a vegetable peeler. Alternatively, use a mandoline and slice the squash into paper-thin coins.

Place squash in a large salad bowl and top with crumbled feta, chopped mint and lemon zest. Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice and toss well to coat the vegetables and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

Labels: , , , , ,